May 17, 2012

DIY: Cut-Out Shoulders Blouse


INSPIRATION: Equipment Nixie Cold Shoulder Silk Blouse | WHAT I'M USING: Joe Fresh Silk Blouse

I bought this black silk Joe Fresh blouse when it was on clearance in the Winter for $19.99 but haven't worn it yet. I felt like it was missing something so I took my inspiration from this Equipment blouse, which I adore, and decided to replicate the look. It's a pretty simple DIY and doesn't require a sewing machine (though you can certainly use one if you choose to). Learn how to make your own cut-out shoulders blouse in just 4 easy steps!

Step 1: Using a fabric pencil, draw out the shape of your shoulder cut-out on one side of the blouse. Depending on much skin you want to show, it can be round, oval, short or long. I chose to draw a long oval to create a deeper cut-out.


Step 2: Cut out the shape you just drew on the shoulder area. It's a little scary but you can do it! Remember to use really sharp scissors that are only meant for cutting fabric.


Step 3: After you've finished cutting the first shoulder out, fold the blouse evenly in half with the front side facing each other. I pinned the shoulders of the blouse together and cut the second side by following the outline of the first shoulder cut-out. You can also trace the oval shape again with your fabric pencil if you prefer to cut along a line.


Step 4: Try on the shirt to make sure you're happy with the shape and size of your cut-outs. Adjust as needed. Fold down the raw cut edge and machine sew or hand-stitch the hem. I chose to hand-sew a slip stitch so that the stitches would be more invisible.


Step 5: Wear with pride!

9 comments:

  1. great little DIY post! , I love seeing DIY posts , I think it's the ultimate form creative expression! even though the majority of them I can't relate to as it's all female DIY posts haha , I believe you can find inspiration from anywhere!

    great blog!

    Matthew

    http://speakingofstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Matthew! I think you're my first male commenter :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous17.5.12

    Nice touch
    xox
    Shizzyscloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this DIY! I have been kind of getting into some crafty pusuits lately and this one sounds like such a great way of trying out the cutout shoulder trend! Hope you have a great long weekend love.

    Alexandra xo

    http://tovogueorbust.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! The long weekend was spent in Vegas so needless to say, it was definitely great :)

      Delete
  4. Seems cool!

    www.style-trigger.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant DIY! Can't believe I never thought of doing this, going to look for a vintage button up and do this asap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must post pics once you're finished with your DIY!

      Delete
  6. Great DIY for warm weather! I wish we had Joe Fresh in California!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read them all and truly appreciate them :)